- Will Bane break The Bat?
- Yes, I think he will. I remember the visceral shock from seeing the cover of the Knightfall comic series in 1993.
- Can Anne Hathaway as Catwoman outshine Michelle Pfeiffer and Julie Newmar?
- I don’t think so. Michelle Pfeiffer’s performances as Sukie Ridgemont in The Witches of Eastwick and Madame de Tourvel in Dangerous Liaisons made it clear that she could play twisted. Haven’t seen anything like that from Anne Hathaway…and I thought her performance in Rachel Getting Married was overhyped.
- Will there be easter eggs or cameos?
- Unlikely. Chris Nolan doesn’t strike me as the sort of director who ‘plays around’ with his material. And Warner Bros. has so far done a terrible job of connecting the dots of their DC Universe, even though they have the advantage of producing all the DC Comics movies, unlike the Marvel guys who have had to work through studios. It would be really nice to see a set up for Azrael or Robin. And, I wonder if there is more to Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s John Blake character than just being a Gotham City cop.
- How much will it bring in at the box office compared to The Dark Knight and Batman Begins?
- Batman Begins made USD 372 million globally (USD 205 mn in the US) in 2005. The Dark Knight became a global phenomenon in 2008, grossing USD 1 billion globally (of which USD 533 million was in the US). TDKR will probably open to about USD 175 mn in the US and will probably end its run with about USD 500 mn. It will make a bit more than that overseas, so will definitely end its run with the highest global gross in the series, probably USD 1.25 billion
- Ok, I don’t really have a 5th question!
Looking forward to the 19th of July.